About few days ago, disaster had struck upon and one of our Lync 2013 Front-End server Hard disk running on RAID-1 failed. Before making the switch, I notice some of the newly SIP enabled users were not able to sign-in, although there were no errors raised under the Event Log, I thought it may be good just to confirm that all of the database(s) from the Front-End Pool Server & SQL Back-end Server are running in good condition.

Using the SQL Management Studio, I’ve connect to the Front-End Pool Server PoolFQDN\RTCLOCAL and just to notice that the RTC database has a (Suspect) mode mark beside it, in which it had raise my suspicion that the problem that I’m facing was due to this matter. Hence, in order to make the swap of the hard disk, I’d repair the database using the following command:

EXEC sp_resetstatus ‘RTC’

ALTER DATABASE RTC SET EMERGENCY

DBCC CheckDB (‘RTC’)

ALTER DATABASE RTC SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

DBCC CheckDB (‘RTC’, REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS)

ALTER DATABASE RTC SET MULTI_USER

For each line, these are the actions that is being perform:

  1. Reset the suspect flag
  2. Set the database to emergency mode so that it becomes read only and not accessible to others
  3. Check the integrity among all the objects
  4. Set the database to single user mode
  5. Repair the errors that ALLOWS DATA LOSS
  6. Set the database to multi user mode, so that it can now be accessed by others

Note that line #5 repairs the database but data loss will likely occurred, so far I’ve tried using other syntax but didn’t work out as expected, hence, this was my final resort (Use at your own risk).

After the Query was completed, I’d confirmed all services are still functional and no event errors was raised, we’ve decided to replaced the faulty disk with the new unit and perform the reboot. Disaster await for me on the next article…